Monday, December 15, 2008

What makes Christmas Christmas?

I have been catching up on all the blogs i follow and have enjoyed getting a glimpe of the holiday season. I must confess that I find myself missing so many of the things about this time of year and feeling very far away. This will be the second year in a row that we really have not celebrated Christmas at least in any way that resembles my childhood memories. Last year we were traveling to CA and spent Christmas night in a hotel. This year we find ourselves in Uganda. I really had not given it much thought until reading all the blogs for here it is hard to even get your mind to believe it is only a few weeks away. As i was filling out the questionare by KKK (See below) i really started to think about what makes Christmas Christmas?

For me my defination falls back to the childhood memories of hanging christmas lights on the house, setting up a tree, cooking a nice meal, shopping for gifts, opening presents, hanging around the house as a family etc.... But when i look at all the things that makes up Christmas for me i fail to find really anything having to do with Christ. Is not the reason to celebrate this holiday to remember the birth of our Savior? but in my heart the holiday is not centered on doing that. It is more of a foot note then the focus.

Now don't miss understand me ... i love the family time and the meals all of which can be God-centered. For me i guess being here with out all the things that to me make Christmas Christmas i have begun to ponder what Christmas legacy do i want to leave with my children (esp since isaac having grown up in Israel is not a big Christmas tradition person). What things will they associate with Christmas?

As i pray and seek what GOD would want to make Christmas Christmas for my family, i would love to hear from you on how you make Christ the center of your holiday.

1.Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Egg Nog though store bought tried a homemade one and not the same

2.Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? We don’t want to be in the habit of lying to the kids so thus no santa

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Any lights are ok with me as long as they work

4. Do you hang mistletoe? No. but as a kid in NW I remember having a tree and collecting bunches and selling them to the neighbors

5. When do you put your decorations up? No set time --this year kids and mom made pictures of decorated trees in art and put them up around the house

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Don’t have specific favorite – right now any grilled beef sounds yummy

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: Stockings… was always my favorite part

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Don’t remember.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Usually the kids did

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Never consistent, lights was the only must (mom loved the “bubblers”)

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Like it when can just enjoy it and not have to accomplish anything in it

12. Can you ice skate? Yes but not done in a long time.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Salvation – Jesus is the best gift ever!

14. What is the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Time with family/friends.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? White chocolate peppermint bark that a friend makes --- mouth watering just thinking about it

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Elvis Christmas songs

17. What tops your tree? Don’t have a tree this year.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Both

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?" Mary did you know

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Yum and kids enjoy

21. What do you want for Christmas? For it to seem like Christmas

22. Do you attend an annual Christmas Party? Yes CC Fort Portal has one

23. Do you dress up on Christmas or wear PJs? Dress up whats that?

24. Do you own a Santa hat? Nope

25. Who do you normally spend Christmas with? I don’t think there is such a thing as normal Christmas for us -- at least not yet.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hey there! Glad to see your post. We have been doing advent reading this year and have loved it! I always do some sort of special reading every night for December to refocus us at the end of the day on the gift of Christ. But, this years seems extra special. You guys are certainly in our prayers. I'll tell the kids you said "hello" with hugs.

allhisblessings said...

I agree with your thoughts about Christmas. While I love all that we do to make it a special time of year, I would like to make it more Jesus-centered. I find that difficult when the people we spend the holiday with don't care to make it Jesus-centered, though. Usually, we read the story of the birth of Jesus from the Bible on Christmas Eve as a family before we join the "group celebration."